Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Rookie mistakes

I made a rookie mistake Sunday and again on Tuesday. I’ll start with Sunday- I really needed to train but the day got away from me and I ended up with only 15 minutes to get a walk/run in. I didn’t stretch at all and only warmed up for 3 minutes. I jogged a min, walked 4, jogged a min…….then hobbled to the curb, legs cramping. After sitting there for a few mins, stretching as best I could, I hobbled home. (Luckily I wasn’t too far away) Ok, maybe I should stretch next time.

(Oh, I finally picked up a pair of new shoes, Reebok Verona. They are uber cute-pink and white, and very comfortable with lots of give.)

Yesterday after class I changed clothes, put on the new kicks, and hit the walking trails at SIUE with a fellow classmate. I realized about 2 mins in I didn’t stretch so I did a little quickie stretch and went on….and soon felt cramping in my lower leg again. Man. So I took some time and tried to really stretch. Of course by then it was too late to totally fix the cramping, so I was in a bit of discomfort but I suffered through it and jogged a min, walked 3, jogged a min, walked 3, jogged a min. I decided to push myself to the next training level since Friday with the 4 min break went ok. However, because I walked so slow earlier in the day because of cramping, I felt I need a bit more walking, so I stretched and took my puppy for a somewhat slow 1.3 mile walk. I’m a bit sore today, but I think that’s to be expected in training. I will probably stick with the jog 1 min/take a 3 min break for the rest of this week.

And I’ll remember to stretch. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment